Government guidelines and advice from Northern Trains are now changing; we are starting to plan for scheduling further Work Parties at the station.
As the situation eases, please return here to check what we’re planning.
Work Parties are gatherings at the station to perform station-tidying and other tasks. They are advertised on the web-site here, on Twitter, and on posters displayed at the station.
Work Parties typically run for a couple of hours on a Saturday morning or on a Sunday afternoon. They’re a great way to get some exercise, work with a disparate bunch of people, and contribute to your own mental well-being and to the benefit of the community.
Note: if you’d like to attend a work party but our dates/times don’t work for you, please contact us and let us know when suits you !
All are welcome to come along and join a work party. Here’s some more information for those who haven’t helped before:
- Meet outside the station.
- Please get there by the stated start time at the latest – for a safety briefing. If you absolutely cannot arrive by then, then you must contact a FoHS member when you arrive.
- The work is primarily litter-picking and “gardening”, so gardening clothes are recommended. If you have secateurs/loppers/rake/broom and can bring them, please do so.
- There are typically between 5 and 15 people involved, but the more the merrier !
- Children and young adults are more than welcome (bring your sons/daughters/grandsons/granddaughters/etc !) but you must supervise them at all times and you retain responsibility for them (FoHS, Northern Rail and Network Rail cannot take any responsibility for them).
- We normally work for a couple of hours, then adjourn across the road to the Railway Pub for a quick coffee/shandy/whisky.
- Inclement weather (!) does not normally put us off – please dress appropriately !!!
Any questions or comments, please fill in our Contact form.
Scroll down for some pictures of previous Work Parties.